Oh! It is still Thursday and I’m too tired to go to work. The kids are having exams and I have been feeling sick for the last few days. On top of that, my house-maid has gone on 3-days leave. Everything seems to be helter-skelter. I’m not able to concentrate on anything lately. The patience level has gone down and get irritated soon.
I thought of meeting an old friend in the hope to get out of my routine, who is a psychologist (and doing really great for herself!) . when I discussed my problem with her, she took my attention towards STRESS . She asked me few questions and after listening the answers carefully, she declared that I am having high level of stress and seems to take a toll on my health. When I discussed in detail, I got to know how big devil it is now a days and setting in gradually in our busy life.
What is Stress
It is your body’s response to any demand, a natural phenomenon and essential for our survival. But, but the problem arises when it is more than the level our body can handle. When we are under stress, our body thinks it is under attack and switches to ‘fight or flight’ mode. It also releases a complex mix of hormones and chemicals such as adrenaline, cortisol and norepinephrine to prepare the body for physical action. Though these chemicals help us deal with the situation but too much of them cause us health issues.
Cause for Stress
Many things and situations can cause it; moreover it is different from person to person. In a particular situation, one person is fine whereas other may get disturb . The causes can be divided in 2 categories: short-term and long-term stress.
If we delve into details, we can find out following causes:
- Anxiety over marriage.
- Sick Child or spouse
- Moving to a new home.
- Exam time for teenagers.
- About to change a new job
There are many other trivial causes which can put anyone under temporary stress.
- The death of a loved one.
- Divorce or problem in the relationship.
- Loss of a job or stuck in an unwanted job.
- Not able to repay financial loans.
- Chronic illness like cancer or major injury.
- Emotional problems (depression, anxiety, anger, grief, guilt, low self-esteem).
- Taking care of old age parents.
- constant worry about future
Symptoms and Impact of Stress:
If your stress level are continuously high for a longer period of time , and the levels are more than survival then it definetly takes toll on the health. It can impact your mind, body and behaviour.
Few of the Stress Symptoms are:
- Constant headache
- loss of appetite and weight
- Low energy
- Hypertension and Heart problems
- loss of sexual desire or ability
- depression and anxiety
- increase in anger or behavioural issues
- Pains and body aches
These are few main symptoms which are commonly visible in a stressed person. But, there are other specific symptoms as well and one has to be able to recognize them well.
As we discussed before, the stress impact your overall well-being. The sooner you are able to recognize them, the better you will be able to manage them. If it lies unattended for a longer period of time, it will start impacting physical health. keep an open eye and try to manage it at the first symptom.
“The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.”
– William James
There is no way to completely ward off stress from your life as everyone has it. But, one can surely adopt various methods to combat its effect.
- Regular exercise : It release a chemical which send you in a happy-state.
- Meditation: It improves the state of mind and acceptance of the situation
- Diet: With a healthy diet , you can fight with the diseases and pain.
- Get more sleep and relaxation: Inculcate your hobbies or way to get a relaxed mind and body.
- Talk to someone: Under severe stress, it is better to talk to someone close.
“There are thousands of causes for stress, and one antidote to stress is self-expression. That’s what happens to me every day. My thoughts get off my chest, down my sleeves and onto my pad.”
– Garson Kanin
<a href=”https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19282437/?claim=25gvxpyc33c”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>